Monday, April 20, 2020

The Coolest Crosley-Powered Object on Earth

Raffi Minassian is on a ROLL. Last week he publishes an article about the Hot Shot his dad bought when he was 10, and now he drops THIS article on Bring a Trailer about his 1953 Giaur, which is very probably the coolest Crosley-powered anything on this planet.

You could quibble that the Giaur didn't come out of Berardo Taraschi's factory in Taramo with a Crosley engine, and that the Crosley powerplant was a later addition, courtesy of racer Chalmers Hall - but picking hairs isn't going to get you anywhere. I can entertain an argument about the Siata or Bandini being the real coolest Crosley, but in the end, my heart always comes back to this very car.
Raffi invited me up to come up to his house in Walnut Creek to check the Giaur out when I met him, but he was traveling a lot, and I was working a lot, and the time just got away from me - and then suddenly eight years had gone by and it was gone to Greece.  A reminder that you should always make time to do the things you'll always regret having passed up.
I kinda hate to post this link, because it's turning into the all-Raffi-all-the-time channel around here, but he's been breaking out his Greatest Hits, so what else can I do? Enjoy.

No comments: