Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Just (14 Years Ago) Married

Fourteen years ago, Liv and I loaded the Crosley up with our wedding presents (they barely fit) and drove away from the Masonic Hall, man and wife. It was a pretty fun day.

The Crosley was sporting a brand new convertible top, a wedding gift from my friend Scott Shultz. When Scott found out that we planned to drive away from the wedding in the Crosley he immediately offered to have a top made - I'd never had one the whole time I'd had the car.

One of Scott's best buddies was an upholsterer, so I just needed to pick out the fabric and get the car to him. He worked out of Auburn, which is about 20 miles away, up in the foothills, so it was a beautiful drive on backroads getting up there. I already had new glass cut for the rear window frame so I dropped that off too.  A week or so later I picked the car up - it had never looked so good!

Liv and I were really touched by Scott's gesture, and at the wedding I made sure to get a photo with Scott and Loretta and the Crosley. I sent them a copy as soon as I got the photos back, and then promptly misplaced my own copy. For a while I thought maybe there was no picture and that I'd misremembered sending a copy to Scott, but I just found it in an unmarked box of wedding pictures while we were moving.

Scott has been gone for five years now, so it was bittersweet finding this picture. I've said it many times before - as much as I love Crosleys, I really love the people that come with them more.


No comments: