Saturday, June 13, 2015

Car Spotter: Autobianchi Bianchina Special Cabriolet

A friend of mine was watching the 1966 Audrey Hepburn movie How to Steal a Million and sent me a note: "what is this car?"
Good question.

At first glance, that side trim looks Hillman-esque, and what I could see of the front looked a little bit NSU... but taken as a whole, the car is pretty unmistakably Italian. A little googling and I had the answer: it's an Autobianchi Bianchina Special Cabriolet (so, basically a Fiat.)
Given my fascination with European movies of the '50s and '60s I was surprised that I had never seen this one- Liv and I remedied that last night.  It's a fun caper flick with Hepburn and Peter O'Toole in the main roles.  It's no Fellini, but well worth a watch, and full of European carspotting if you're into that sort of thing.   And, currently available on Netflix streaming!

No comments: