Wednesday, August 5, 2009

On the Road!

Liv and I are getting ready to take off on our first real vacation in a year and a half.  

When I realized that the date of my brother's wedding in Tahoe neatly coincided with the start of Speed Week at Bonneville it was a no-brainer to plan a longer trip.  We plan to spend a day at the Salt Flats checking out the speed trials-  I've never been and have long wanted to go.  Liv spent some of her childhood in Utah and grew up steeped in the mystique of Bonneville.
Bonus is that I'll actually know a few folks out there.  Gerald "Crosley of Kentucky" Davenport will be running his Super Sport, and the Liebherr clan are debuting their sedan at the salt this year.  I'll also get to meet John McKnight face-to-face for the first time.  We've been trading emails about Crosleys since he outbid me on a Crosley wagon ten years ago and I offered to buy the guts in case he was going to hotrod it.  He kept the parts, and we've kept in touch ever since.  There are a few locals going too.  My pal Johnny CrashaRama will be there this year, and I suspect I may run into the legendary Dick Bertolucci who has been going since about 1950.
After Bonneville we're heading out to explore the high desert and then off to a date in Newport, Washington...

No comments: