Wednesday, November 1, 2017

2017 West Coast Crosley Meet Report - Part 1

Autumn means cooler weather, leaves starting to drop, Halloween decorations making their appearance, and - in my world - the annual West Coast Crosley Club Meet.

This year's meet was the first-ever visit to Pacific Grove, a small coastal community sandwiched between Monterey and Carmel. The whole area is car country - The Monterey Historics and Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance are Mecca for car fanatics... one of the few places in the world where you might see a Pegaso just driving down the street. I passed a Jaguar C Type parked on the street just a few blocks from the Crosley meet. These are folks who appreciate old cars.

I wish I could say that I drove my Crosley wagon from Sacto to the meet (just under 200 miles), but I'm not confident enough yet for a trip of that distance. I got the overheating under control, and the engine runs great, but there other issues (especially the OG wiring) that need to be dealt with before I get too crazy. I have been tinkering and testing - my usual play is to do some work on the car, then take a test drive out to Locke, a tiny old Chinese town in the Sacramento Delta. Locke is on a lightly-travelled two lane levee road, so if necessary, I can vary my speeds between 20 and 50 without making a bunch of other drivers crazy.  And, it's a great drive... about 70 miles round trip. I made that run a few times in the month before the meet, but, big difference between that and a 400 mile trip over several days.  I rented a trailer.
U-Haul says my Toyota is too small to pull their trailers, but as luck would have it, the extended Moe clan had opted to make the trip. My brother in law Mike is a car guy and volunteered to tow the trailer behind his Chevy - and also offered to be the catch truck for the Crosley Cruise on Sunday. All went well loading and hauling, although I have to note that U-Haul's 6X12 trailer has pillars that shrink the entryway down to about 57" - the Crosley fit through, but there's not much room for error.
As any regular readers of this blog know, while the Meet officially starts on Saturday, the Friday night potluck is the real kickoff.  I drove over to the Meet hotel around 4PM and was happy to see a flock of Crosleys already gathered... in fact, there were almost as many cars already in the hotel lot as we had on the show field last year.  Looking good....







1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the pictures; one didn't come through but still a great teaser for Part 2! Thanks for posting.